Student Visa for Portugal
There are many types of visa being provided, depending upon the purpose of visit. Student visa is for students who wish to study in Portugal. Read the post below to know about visa conditions and requirements:
Student Visa Eligibility
Portugal is a part of the Schengen agreement.
Following country nationals may or may not require visa:
Citizens of the EU (European Union) and EEA (European European Area) - Iceland, Norway, Andorra and Liechtenstein, along with Switzerland can enter Portugal with a passport or an officially approved Identity card. The nationals of these countries do not need a visa for their stay in Portugal.
For stays above 90 days, a student visa is required.
Nationals of the following countries may require only a passport for short stays, i.e. up to 90 days: Brunei, Chile, Australia, Guatemala, Bolivia, Israel, Canada, Malaysia, Brazil, Honduras, New Zealand, Argentina, Paraguay, Bulgaria, Japan, Croatia, Romania, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Vatican, Costa Rica, South Korea, Uruguay, Panama, Mexico, Venezuela, San Marino, Monaco, Singapore, United States of America, and Special Administrative areas of the People’s Republic of China in Hong Kong and Macao.
** This list may vary, so contact your nearest Portuguese embassy or consulate.
Citizens of other countries that are not mentioned above need visa as well as passport in order to enter and study in Portugal.
Visa Applying Procedure
Apply for student visa at your nearest Portuguese embassy
or consulate. Check with them about the documentation and eligibility conditions. Fill out a visa application form and submit it along with the required documents.
Following documents are required:
- A valid passport or official travel document
- Application form: It must be duly filled and signed
- Acceptance letter from the respective higher education institution in Portugal
- Three Passport-size photographs
- Health insurance certificate: It should cover the costs of the health care
- Medical records: Includes vaccines reports
- Criminal records: A certificate that you have never been found guilty or sentenced for a crime of any felony
- Proof of Accommodation in Portugal: Can be a letter from the higher education institution if availed university accommodation; or a statement from the owner of the apartment/flat.
- Evidence of sufficient funds upon arrival in Portugal: Can be a bank statement or a copy of scholarship indicating the ability to support yourself financially throughout the duration of the course
- Academic registration records
- Educational documents: Certificates and degrees earned; must be certified by the local Portuguese Embassy/Consulate
The processing time of student visa depends upon the candidate’s nationality.
Student Visa Validity
A Portuguese student visa is valid for the duration of the academic course of study.